Une explication de plus pour la diet McDo
Dietary sodium, added salt, and serum sodium associations with growth and depression in the U.S. general population
Appetite Volume 79, 1 August 2014, Pages 83–90 Pavel Goldstein
• We suggest that conditioned benefits of salt contribute to its attraction.
• Two potential benefits of salt are growth and moderation of depression.
• During growth (
<18 years), we find a specific increase in dietary sodium intake.
• Added salt relates directly, and in women dietary sodium inversely, to depression.
• Such effects could condition preference and contribute to increased salt intake.
It is not known why salt is so attractive to humans. Here, guided by hypotheses suggesting that the attraction of salt is conditioned by postingestive benefits, we sought to establish whether there are such benefits in a population by analyzing the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 2007–2008 database (n = ~ 10,000). We focus on two potential benefits supported by the literature, growth and moderation of depression, and examine their relationship to sodium, dietary, added at table, and serum.
We find that during growth (<18 years), there is a specific increase in adjusted dietary sodium intake
, independent of caloric or other electrolyte intakes.
We find that adding salt and depression are related. In contrast, and in women only, dietary sodium and depression are inversely related. The relationships are correlational, but we speculate that this constellation may reflect self-medication for depression by adding salt, and that men may be protected by their higher dietary sodium intake. Additional findings are that women add more salt than men below age ~30, after which men add more, and below 40 years of age, serum sodium is lower in women than in men. It remains possible that small but beneficial effects of sodium could condition salt preference and thus contribute to population-wide sodium intake.
Voir aussi :
- L'ostéocalcine est une hormone anabolique pour les muscles
- Trop de leucine: néfaste pour le cœur des sportifs?
- Du Tadalafil pour maigrir?
- De la théobromine pour remplacer le fluor des dentifrices
- Les poids lourds plus efficaces que les poids légers pour l'hypertrophie